COPA Board of Director Nominations – Spring 2024
In adherence to our by-laws, the Canadian Owners and Pilots Association is actively seeking nominations to fill eight (8) positions on the 2023/2024 Board of Directors for six (6) regions. Nominations are being accepted between November 24, 2023 at 9:00 a.m. ET and January 2, 2024 at 11:59 p.m. ET.
COPA Directors serve a four-year term, and qualified COPA members are encouraged to nominate themselves and/or other qualified candidates.
To submit a nomination, please scroll to the bottom of this page to complete our nomination form.
Candidates are being sought to fill positions in the regions listed below to become part of a dynamic, volunteer-led board that directs the largest aviation association in Canada.
- Newfoundland and Labrador (1 position)
- Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, New Brunswick (2 positions)
- Northern Ontario (1 position)
- Manitoba and Nunavut (1 position)
- Saskatchewan (1 position)
- Alberta and the Northwest Territories (2 positions)
Why get involved?
Your active engagement in this process supports the continued success of our association and the advancement, protection and promotion of general aviation. Join us in shaping the future of the Canadian general aviation by nominating distinguished leaders to contribute to our mission.
Board Members actively shape COPA’s strategic priorities, participating in regular board meetings, and engaging in essential committee activities.
Potential candidates should have a strong passion for aviation, including the remotely piloted sector.
Candidates must recognize that board positions carry significant responsibilities, many of which are outlined in the Federal Not-for-Profit Act and in COPA By-laws and Policies. The core duty is to act in the best interests of COPA members in directing the management, activities, and affairs of the Association. A significant commitment of volunteer time and effort is required, including:
- Attendance at both regular and ad hoc Board meetings, both in-person and virtual. There is typically a minimum of three in-person Board meetings annually plus ad hoc virtual meetings as required. Attendance at in-person meetings may involve travel with expenses being reimbursed as per COPA policies.
- Attendance at virtual monthly Executive Committee meetings and other ad-hoc Committee meetings.
- Chairmanship or participation in various COPA committees.
- Regular interaction with COPA Flights and the Association membership.
- Representation of COPA at local and national events, acting as an ambassador for the Association.
While the above duties require a considerable volunteer commitment, the opportunity to contribute to the direction of COPA in fulfilling the mission “to advance, promote, preserve, protect, and inspire general aviation in Canada“ is highly rewarding.
The voting period for candidates for our 2024 election will take place between February 26 at 9:00 a.m. ET – March 22, 2024 at 11:59 p.m. ET. While voting is conducted online, ballots for mailing are available upon request. Based on governance rules for not-for-profit societies, the slate of directors elected in the regions will be presented to the COPA membership for ratification at the Annual General Meeting on June 09, 2024, in Mount Hope, Ontario.
For any troubleshooting or more information regarding the election process, please contact the COPA National office at 613-236-4901 or email@example.com
To submit a 2024 Board Election Nomination Form: