An applicant shall be a minimum of seventeen years of age.
(2) Medical Fitness
Hold a Category 1 or 3 Medical Certificate valid for a pilot licence – balloon.
Minimum of 10 hours of balloon pilot ground school
Obtain a minimum of 60% in a written examination, Pilot Licence – Balloon (PIBAL).
Minimum of 16 hours balloon pilot flight time, of which a minimum of 11 hours shall be untethered flight time under the direction and supervision of an instructor
Pass a flight test demonstrating, in flight and on the ground, familiarity with and the ability to perform both normal and emergency manoeuvres and procedures appropriate to the balloon used in the test and with a degree of competency appropriate to the holder of a Pilot Licence – Balloon.
Submit a letter from the holder of a Flight Instructor Rating – Balloons, qualified on the method of inflation for the balloon used in the test, attesting to the applicant’s satisfactory completion of the skill requirement.
(6) Credits – Knowledge
An applicant who holds a pilot permit or licence in any other category of aircraft, except ultra-light aeroplane, shall be deemed to have met 5 of the 10 hours of ground school instruction requirement.
(7) Licence Issued On the Basis of Foreign Licence
An applicant who holds a pilot licence – Balloon, issued by a Contracting State shall be considered:
(i) to have met the ground school instruction requirement; and
(ii) to have met the written examination requirement, the experience requirement and the skill requirement, provided that the foreign licence was not issued on the basis of a licence from another State, and that the applicant:
- (A) has obtained at least the number of hours of flight training required by subsection (4);
(B) obtains a minimum of 90% in the written examination Student Pilot Permit or Private Pilot Licence for Foreign and Military Applicants, Aviation Regulations (PSTAR); and
(C) has completed in balloons, a minimum of 5 take-offs and 5 landings within the 6 months preceding the date of application for the Canadian licence.
(b) The licence shall be annotated by the Minister to indicate that it was issued on the basis of the foreign licence.
(c) The Minister shall remove the annotation from the licence, provided the applicant has successfully completed:
(i) the written examination (PIBAL); and
(ii) the skill requirement.
(amended 1999/03/01; no previous version)
(8) Credits for Foreign Applicants
- (a) An applicant who holds a pilot licence – balloon, issued by a contracting state and who does not wish to obtain a licence issued on the basis of the foreign licence, may be considered by the Minister to have met the ground school instruction requirement and the experience requirement provided that the applicant has obtained at least the number of hours of dual and solo flight training and experience required by subsection (4).
(b) An applicant who does not hold a pilot licence – balloon issued by a contracting state may be credited foreign glider dual and solo flight training time and balloon ground school time towards the knowledge and experience requirements for the issue of a Balloon Pilot Licence, if the applicant provides certification from the holder of a Flight Instructor Rating – Balloon that all ground and flight training exercises have been satisfactorily reviewed.
(9) Take-offs and Landings in Built-up Areas
A person may conduct a take-off in a balloon within a built-up area of any town or city, where the pilot-in-command has accumulated a minimum of:
- (a) 50 hours in untethered balloons and, except for balloons operated in a commercial air service, has conducted a minimum of 3 takeoffs and landings in the specific manufacturer’s model and AX class of balloon within the preceding 12 months, or
- (b) 300 hours of flight time in untethered balloons.