Please read the expanded COVID 19 flight restrictions for aircraft carrying passengers to Canada found in AIC 6/21 issued 28 Jan 21. COPA recommends that members print a copy and reference it when talking to CBSA agents. Please visit CBSA website for the most up to date list of staffed Airports of Entry (AOE).

Flying Cross-Border - Please note that the information below has not been updated since COVID-19 and may not be accurate

License Conversions

2019 AirVenture TC/COPA Presentation

As a contracting member state of ICAO, the International Civil Aviation Organization, Canadian pilot licenses are recognized around the world.

Some important things to consider when planning your next international adventure:

  • ICAO standards only address pilot qualifications for Glider, Private, Commercial, Airline Transport Pilot, and the Multi-Crew Pilot Licence.
  • Canadian Pilot Permits are not generally accepted outside of Canada unless a bilateral agreement of acceptance is in place with that country, even if both countries are ICAO members.

Cross-Border Surveys

Cross Border Survey Results

While searching for cross border statistics to provide to the Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) regarding crossing the border in a Personal Aircraft, COPA could not find any recent data and decided to conduct a survey that would ask pilots’ trends.

COPA highlighted that the fundamental issue of CBSA IAPI, is the elimination of duplication. Since all pilots must complete the US eAPIS reports for entering and exiting the US, it would be a relatively simple extension for the US to send information to Canada for their security purposes. To provide data to CBSA, COPA conducted a survey in collaboration with AOPA and supported by APBQ, EAA US and EAA Canada.

Click here to view the survey results.