Interested in helping to introduce aviation to others?
Through COPA’s Discover Aviation program, pilots volunteer their time and talents, along with their personal aircraft providing free flight experiences to new friends and future pilots. This modernized program combines our two longstanding programs, COPA for Kids and DiscoverGA, into one single purpose of helping others explore the skies.
COPA Flights (regional chapters) regularly organize events to offer discovery flights to their community. Discover Aviation event insurance coverage (including event and top-up liability insurance) is provided by COPA through the Magnes Group. To date, nearly 24,000 Canadians have been introduced to the world of aviation through these community events. COPA Flights must register their event in the form below to receive a Certificate of Insurance.
As COPA’s Discover Aviation events welcome young people (18 and under) into the world of aviation, all volunteer pilots must complete a background screening. The background check takes less than 30 minutes to complete online and costs for COPA members are covered by COPA and our program sponsor, Magnes.
- To receive a free background screening, please ensure your main event organizer includes your name and email in the registration form linked below.
- Vulnerable sector checks may be completed in substitution of a background screening, however, the volunteer will be responsible for all associated costs.
- Background checks completed via COPA’s online process or through local police services are valid for three (3) years, and must be renewed in time for a Discover Aviation event or flight. If a COPA member has already received a background check, they do not need a new one if it was completed within the last three years and has been validated by the event organizer/COPA Flight captain.
COVID-19 event guidance
As event activities begin to resume, COPA Flights may be interested in guidance from COPA National. Please note, events may look different based on your region and based on your COPA Flight’s comfort level with managing pilots, young people, families and communities. When planning any COPA affiliated event, please follow your provincial health guidelines. Any measures you may wish to enforce should be communicated to participants, volunteers and any other stakeholders involved before and throughout the event.
All participants in the Discover Aviation program must complete the following liability waivers. See below for a variety of waiver forms your COPA Flight can use. If your participants are using the online version, please ensure they are aware to either forward their confirmation email to your COPA Flight or are prepared to show your registration desk at your event.
- the print-friendly version / fillable form (please send completed forms to firstname.lastname@example.org)
- the online version (participants must show submission receipts to COPA Flights)
Upon completion of the form below, COPA may have event materials such as certificates, banners and other marketing items available for use for our local COPA Flights.