June 1, 2017
COPA 2017 By-election: Newfoundland-Labrador Call for nominations
COPA Newfoundland-Labrador Director, Ray Hawco resigned for personal reasons at the end of April. More than two years remain in his term which concludes after the June 2020 COPA AGM. In compliance with COPA By-laws and Policy 1.1.2 to fill a vacancy on the Board, nominations for this position are being accepted now until August 08, 2017. Directors are volunteers receiving some compensation for expenses incurred. Read the Chair of the Nominating Committee’s article here.
- is 18 years of age or older;
- is a Member of COPA residing in Newfoundland-Labrador
- is not prohibited from voting by law (Gen. Op. By-law 5.03, 504)
- has a strong belief in COPA’s mission “to advance, promote and preserve the Canadian freedom to fly”
- has a high standard of personal ethics
- is able to contribute to both Board governance and to regional interests
- is comfortable with electronic communication
- is able to volunteer a minimum of 15 days per years to COPA business (three Board meetings per year, regional events, advocacy activities, responses to member queries)
Click here to download a copy of the Nomination Form (requires signatures from at least five voting members of the region).
Please submit the Nomination Form as soon as the signatures are gathered so your eligibility can be confirmed. You will then be able to submit the other two completed forms before noon on Tues., August 8th to Heather McLaren email@example.com, by fax 613-236-8646 or by mail to COPA Elections – H. McLaren, 75 Albert St., Suite 903, Ottawa ON K1P 5E7.
A list of Candidates, their bios and instructions for online voting will then be posted on COPA’s website and published in the September COPA Flight.
Newfoundland-Labrador COPA members can vote online (or using paper ballot by request) August 15 to September 5th. Once ballots are counted and the Board has approved the Nominating Committee Report, the candidates will be informed of the results. Members will then be informed via COPA’s website and the October COPA Flight. The successful candidate will be included in Board communication. Members will ratify the election procedure and results at the next COPA Annual General Meeting in June 2018, as per the Canada Not-for-profit Corporations Act.
For further information about the role of a Director, nominees may contact the Chair of the Nominating Committee, Cheryl Marek (ON), firstname.lastname@example.org or Directors on the Committee: Conrad Hatcher (ON) email@example.com and Brian Pound (PEI) firstname.lastname@example.org