Want to be part of the team that is shaping the future of aviation in Canda? COPA is looking for a Director, External Relations to lead our strategic communications and advocacy efforts.
Reporting to the President and CEO, and as a key member of COPA’s leadership team, the ideal candidate will have experience in public relations and stakeholder engagement, as well as a good understanding of aviation policy development and advocacy.
What you will do
The Director, Public Relations will:
- Lead the development and implementation of strategies to promote and elevate COPA’s public image using various mediums such as the media, social media, collaborating with sister associations and potential partners, etc.
- Raise awareness of issues facing general aviation in Canada at the municipal, provincial and federal government levels.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with COPA stakeholders including municipal, provincial and federal government, Transport Canada and NAV Canada.
- Provide counsel to the President and CEO and other senior team members as well as draft briefings for the COPA Board of Directors.
- Develop advocacy positions and deliver their successful communication to our members and to various government levels.
- Research funding opportunities for COPA and provide assistance with grants management, facilitate the development, writing, submission, administration and monitoring of grants.
- Work with the executive team to develop the organization’s legislative priorities and monitoring current legislation and government regulations.
- Act as the government liaison and spokesperson for the organization
- Represent COPA at events.
- Participate in all COPA event planning including leading sponsorship opportunities.
What we are looking for
The ideal candidate will:
- Have a university degree in public relations, marketing, communications or related field, with aviation experience preferred.
- Demonstrate excellent project management skills, including planning and prioritization.
- Have at least 5 years if of management experience.
- Demonstrate experience working with media, public and/or government officials.
- Have knowledge of the Canadian Aviation Regulations (CARS), Canadian Aviation Regulation Advisory Council (CARAC) processes, Transportation Safety Board reporting, NAV CANADA, Transport Canada Civil Aviation structure.
- Have a pilot license- fixed or rotary, PPL or higher, RPAS Advanced certificate
- Bilingual is an asset (French and English).
- Be able to work under pressure and demonstrate an ability to think strategically, whilst dealing with the day-to-day.
- Have strong writing as well as interpersonal and presentation skills.
What to expect
- This position is permanent and will be based in Ottawa (hybrid work model).
- Some travel may be required.
- Full health and dental benefits including health spending account and long-term disability.
- RRSP contribution matching up to 5%.
- Salary range between $70,000 to $82,500
Please send your resume with a cover letter addressed to Christine Gervais, President and CEO, to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than June 30, 2022.
Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted by July 15th, 2022.