January 3, 2018
CALL FOR NOMINATIONS
[vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]COPA Board of Directors Election 2018
Every two years half of the positions on the COPA Board of Directors are up for election. In 2018 a total of seven positions representing the following regions will need to be elected:
Quebec (2 positions) – currently held by Jean Messier and Jonathan Beauchesne
Southern Ontario (3 positions) –currently held by Phil Englishman, Conrad Hatcher and Cheryl Marek
British Columbia & Yukon (2 positions) – currently held by Joe Hessberger and 1 vacant position
Any COPA member in good standing may run for a position in the region in which they live. If you have a passion for general aviation and feel you have something to contribute to COPA both on the Board and as a regional representative, please consider volunteering for this very important work. The term of office for this election shall commence at the summer Board meeting in June 2018 and continue until the summer Board meeting in 2022.
Nominations for these seven positions are now being accepted.
- The deadline for receiving nominations is Thursday, February 8th, 2018. Candidates will be announced in the March COPA Flight and on the website.
- The election will close on Monday, April 2nd, 2018. Ballots will be counted and results will be announced in the May COPA Flight magazine and on the website.
- Based on the new Canadian Governance rules for no-for-profit guidelines, the slate of Directors elected in the regions will be presented to the COPA membership for ratification at the Annual General Meeting on June 23th.
- have a strong belief in COPA’s mission
- have a passion for aviation
- have a high standard of personal ethics
- want to make a lasting contribution to general aviation
- be able to spend a minimum or 15 days per year on COPA business (at three Board meetings per year and at regional events)
- have ready access to email for Board communications
Nominations for a Director must be made in writing by at least five voting members from the same region (defined as paid-up regular members, their family members and persons designated by corporate members when they applied for membership).
Completed nomination forms must be received at the COPA office by 12:00 noon on Thursday, February 8th, 2018.
Forms are available here for download:
A list of candidates will be published in the March COPA Flight, along with information about the candidates and instructions on how to vote.
Voting is conducted online. Alternatively, members will be able to request that a paper ballot be mailed to them.
In order to provide voters with comparative information on candidates, nominees will be requested to complete a candidate questionnaire and a 200 to 300 word biography, both which are to be submitted with the nomination form.
Facts to be included in the nominee’s bio:
- Flying experience and currency
- Aircraft ownership if any
- COPA Flight or flying club affiliations
- What is your main reason for wanting to be a COPA Director?
- What is the single most important skill you feel you can bring to the Board?
Consider who you would like to see representing you on the Board and nominate them today, or if you would like to run yourself find a few members to nominate you. Don’t hesitate. COPA needs good people to pursue its mission.
The COPA mission: To advance, promote, and preserve the Canadian freedom to fly.
Nominee biography/platform: Please include the candidate questionnaire, and in 200 to 300 words, a biography from the nominee that will be helpful to COPA members casting ballots in an election.
Interested candidates who wish to request an information package about being a COPA Director can email or call Tessa Toutant, Event Coordinator at 613-236-4901×107 or firstname.lastname@example.org[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]