Flying in Canada is a privilege, and our job is to help keep it accessible and affordable.
We help our members by working with government and other stakeholders to address issues that directly affect general aviation.
Some of these issues include:
- Transport Canada’s proposed amendments to the Visual Flight Rules (VFR) via NPA 2023-005
- Significant delays or issues with Transport Canada’s processing of aviation medicals
- Transport Canada’s proposed fee changes to its aircraft registration services
- Recreational pilots getting denied service in controlled airspace
- NAV CANADA aeronautical studies that propose level of service changes at various Canadian airports
- NAV CANADA’s mandate for ADS-B equipage
- The new Luxury Tax being implemented by the Federal government
- Miscellaneous issues at airports and aerodromes across Canada
Please click on each hyperlink above for a summary of the issue.
For timely updates on issues that directly affect General Aviation, please subscribe to our Advocacy eBrief and other e-newsletters here.
To learn more about COPA’s advocacy accomplishments, click here.
Support our efforts to protect your Freedom to Fly
The Freedom to Fly Fund was created to guarantee that COPA would have the resources to take on emergency actions, legal or otherwise, in the defence of the Canadian Freedom to Fly.
This fund is made available through the generous contributions of COPA members and supporters, to ensure that we continue to enjoy our freedoms, such as the right to have an airstrip on your property.
Uses of the fund include legal actions such as the federal jurisdiction issue that was successfully brought before the Supreme Court of Canada in 2009-2010.
To apply for support for an issue, click here. Please note, the Freedom to Fly Fund exclusively supports pilots who have been a COPA member for at least 12-months.