header logo

American pilots flying to Canada

July 2014

COPA and its United States sister organization, AOPA, have developed a book called "The Cross Border Flying Operations Manual". This publication contains over 150 pages and includes everything you need to know to fly in either country. It is
available on both the COPA and AOPA Web sites in the "member’s only sections" for free. It is also available in a
paper version from either COPA or AOPA, for a nominal charge.


In addition to the much more exhaustive work mentioned above, the following includes some quick links to:

a) tourist info

b) flying resources and links

Outdated but some items are good for review:
All American pilots are urged to try the COPA Quiz for Flying into Canada, (Answers)
Flying in Canada is the easiest place you can visit outside the USA, and there's very little different. The customs folks are great if you give them the required phone call before you cross, they may not even bother showing up - just call them and tell them you are here if they don't show at the airport.  They are much more easy going about schedules than the US CBP (which you must accurately give your ETA to).
The flying rules are almost indistinguishable - reading the COPA guide should keep you legal and out of trouble. Make sure you get a Canada Flight Supplement (CFS) and some VNCs (Canadian equivalent to your US sectionals), that will allow you to navigate VFR safely.   IFR plates are available from Nav Canada as a subscription or the (sample list of) vendors included below. (by mail order) 

  • Places to Fly: It will help you with extra information compared to that within the CFS. 
  • Nav Canada resources, weather, airport diagrams NoTAMS etc. - Click here
  • This link is a good summary of Canadian IFR route protocol for MEA and MOCA (section RAC 8.7) Click here
  • The Canadian AIM is similar to your US AIM, but explains Canadian rules.
  • The general web address for the AIM for Canada: Click here
  • The Canadian AIP: Click here
  • The AICs  (Aeronautical Information Circulars): Click here
  • This along with all Canadian NOTAMS: Click here

To order the CFS (Canada Flight Supplement):


I'm sure you will enjoy flying in  Canada.  Some tourist website suggestions  (these are predominantly East Coast suggestions):


Province Tourism Information

Province Phone Website
Newfoundland and Labrador 1-800-563-6353 http://www.newfoundlandlabrador.com/
Prince Edward Island (PEI) 1-800-463-4PEI http://www.gov.pe.ca/
Nova Scotia 1-800-565-0000 http://www.novascotia.com/
New Brunswick 1-800-561-0123 http://www.tourismnewbrunswick.ca/
Quebec 1 877 BONJOUR http://www.bonjourquebec.com/
Ontario 1-800-ONTARIO http://www.ontariotravel.net/
Manitoba 1-800-665-0040 http://www.travelmanitoba.com/
Saskatchewan 1-877-2ESCAPE http://www.sasktourism.com/
Alberta 1-800-ALBERTA http://www1.travelalberta.com/en-ca/
British Columbia   http://www.hellobc.com/
Territory Phone Website
North-West 1-800-661-0788 http://spectacularnwt.com/
Nunuvut 1-866-NUNAVUT http://www.nunavuttourism.com/
Yukon 1-800-661-0494 http://www.travelyukon.com/


Canada Tourism Office

Canadian Tourism Commission
#1400-1055 Dunsmuir Street, Box 49230
Vancouver BC V7X 1L2



In Newfoundland there are some super things to do as well as
golfing in PEI. 


St John's

  • George Street "pubbing" - largest per capital collection of pubs and eateries in Canada. 
  • Bonavista - whale watching, the Matthew (replica sailing vessel  of John Cabot )  

Grand Falls

  • The salmon ladder where 300,000 salmon pass through every year.   

Cape Spear

  • the easternmost part of North America where Americans were based in WWII, and Twillinggate where you can watch 15,000 year-old 350-ft tall icebergs come through on their way to the Atlantic.  Try tasting the ice by the way - as pure as any water you've ever tasted.   


In PEI I suggest:

In Cape Breton:





Sault Ste Marie: